11/06/2006

CONSUME ( RED ) or CONSUMERED?

Please bear with me as I freak out for a few paragraphs.
I don't know how much you've heard of Project Red, but here is a portion of its manifesto: Project Red is not a charity, it is simply a business model. You buy Project Red stuff. (Motorola, AmEx, Gap, Armani, Converse, Apple) Project Red gets the money. It then buys the pills and distributes them. Sick people in Africa take the pills, stay alive. And continue to take care of their families and contribute socially and economically in their communities.
Sounds great eh? People with HIV in Africa getting badly needed medicine in order to beat their illness, and all because we purchased a “RED” item. Wow! Now you can buy a cell phone and do something great for someone else in need! (Please note the sarcasm). Ever since Bono showed up on Oprah to advertise for his new campaign “Project Red”, my guts have been reeling in disdain for one of my favourite rockers and philanthropists. After viewing the show I headed out to my local GAP to check out the merchandise. All of the merchandise was over-priced and only a portion of all products sold go towards the RED campaign. In other words, they jacked their prices in order to not incur any financial loss. B.S.
Also, the campaign directly ignores the real problem which is our greed, narcissism, and over-consumption. It's a shame that people believe that they are what they buy. I am not necessarily rich because I purchase an Armani t-shirt, and I am not necessarily caring because I purchased a t-shirt where some proceeds go to “a cause”.
Four years ago I decided to cancel my cell phone and become a World Vision sponsor because I couldn't justify my spending. Now people don't have to justify it. They can get a RED Motorola phone and feel good about their purchase.
My point is that people can do more than the status quo. Instead of purchasing a $40 RED t-shirt at GAP (where a couple dollars go to charity), why can't we just expect people to give an entire $40 to charity? I expect more from our world and I believe (perhaps conveniently) that God expects more from our world. Shame on you Bono, I know you know better. Don't think that your so intelligent because you found a way to “trick” our consumer society into being charitable. All you've really done is reinforce their sickness of consumerism.
For more info about this farce of a “good cause” visit either of these websites:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you also cancel your internet subscription?

DSW said...

Cancelling the internet is a good "hey im an intelligent prick" comment... and I did laugh, well chuckle at the least.

But we have to stay connected to the world somehow and internet seems to be way more objective than newspapers and news programming on the television. OR at least we can view several different sources.

This whole Apple phenomena has people searching for what is cool to have in their tech arsenal and it has bred these kinds of endeavors. Buy something so you can say "look how Im helping"... and if youve ever watched that PBS special on how marketing companies can market a certain group of people in 6 weeks youll know thats exactly what the fat cats did.

It's here at this link:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/view/

hugs and kisses

Jash said...

i sorta apologize because its highly probable that the pricks commenting our blogs are from my msn list. I only sorta apologize because they are kind of amusing and i enjoy writing and reading what we say about them ha. dave you rock ha.

Jonas said...

My dad always told me that the people who reply anonymously have tiny penises.... I'm assuming that its true.

Jash said...

oh shawn, you and your dads penis jokes. ha

DSW said...

pricks are the reasons we have blogs.

we needed some format to point them out and this is what nature incurred.

hugs and kisses